Mind, Body and Sole to Soul Yoga

 Local Yoga Studio Provides a Welcoming Community Atmosphere, inclusive to all.


Katy Rosecrans and Wendy Humphreys owners
Katy Rosecrans and Wendy Humphreys owners of Sole to Soul Yoga

For me, self love and self care mean doing something that is good for me. I like to read books and take classes to learn new things to take care of my mind. I like to lift weights and eat healthy foods to take care of my body. And I like to walk through the woods or sit quietly on a beach watching the waves to take care of my soul. But when I need to take care of all three - mind, body and soul - I do yoga. 


I started practicing yoga about three years ago and it has changed my life. Yoga has been proven to increase strength and flexibility, reduce stress, and can even improve your mood. It is adaptable to all skill levels and today, more than ever, it is easily accessible. 


Owner,Wendy Humphrys poses
I usually take yoga classes here at Linn-Benton but when there is a break or between terms, I’m left without a class to do. I decided I needed to find a studio to fill the gaps in my practice, so I recently tried a class at a newer studio in Albany, Sole to Soul Yoga. 

The studio’s small size and tastefully simple decor make it feel intimate and inviting. The smell of lemongrass wafting from a stylish diffuser and the sound of relaxing music playing quietly added to the peaceful atmosphere, are exactly what you’d want in a yoga studio. 


There are several styles of yoga, each with their own challenges and benefits to suit different needs. Sole to Soul Yoga offers four styles of yoga: Power, Vinyasa, Yin and Gentle. The class I tried was Power Yoga. Even though Power Yoga sounds intimidating, it’s easily adapted for beginners. 


When I got to the studio, the first thing I noticed was that it was really warm inside. The instructor, Wendy Humphreys, assured me that it wasn’t “hot yoga,” and the heat was just to help you get warm and sweat a little. 



Humphreys, along with Katy Rosecrans, opened Sole to Soul Yoga in June, 2021. 


“During COVID we were both teaching from home and in random places,” Rosecrans said. 


Katy Rosecrans
“We really wanted to bring yoga to the community,” added Humphreys. “We’re not a club, we’re a community inclusive studio. We’re inclusive of all ages, abilities, bodies and people.”


The class size was small, but diverse. I definitely felt comfortable during the class and like I fit in - which is something I always worry about when trying new fitness classes. 


Humphreys led the class and talked us through each pose. She constantly assured everyone it was ok to move slower, come out of a pose if needed, and she came around to offer correction if you wanted it. Humphreys who is a 500 hour certified instructor (one of the highest certifications) has been teaching for about five years, and is very knowledgeable and passionate about teaching yoga. 


“I love yoga because it’s good for mind, body, heart, and soul, “ Humphreys said. “It’s good for everything you do in your life. It helps you age with balance, flexibility, strength, and it builds a community. 


Humphreys has been teaching since 2013. In addition to teaching yoga classes, she is also certified to lead 200 hour instructor training. Rosecrans, the co-owner, has been teaching for two years. She took Humphreys class for years, then two years ago took her instructor training and became certified to teach as well.


Katy Rosecrans (front) and Wendy Humphrys
“I love yoga because it’s an accessible way to exercise and take care of your mental health,” Rosecrans said. 


In all the studio has seven instructors and offers 13 classes per week. Memberships are all-inclusive and for students are just $72 a month - very reasonable as far as yoga studios go. They also offer discounts for teachers and veterans, and a “Karma Pass,” which is heavily discounted for those who may have trouble paying. Class and membership information is available on their website.


If you’d like to try the studio before committing, they also offer a trial week pass for just $20. And during the month of February they’re running a special where members can bring a friend for free. You can even split the trial pass!


Even though the Power Yoga I tried was very different from the style I usually practice, and it was a little challenging - in a good way - I didn’t feel like it was too fast or too much for me. I really enjoyed it! 


If you’re looking for a new way to practice self-care, or show yourself some love this Valentines Day, I think yoga is a great option. And I can highly recommend Sole to Soul Yoga as a place to try it. 





At a Glance:


Business name: Sole to Soul Yoga


Website: https://www.soletosoulyogaoregon.com/


Location: 208 SW 5th Ave, Albany


Phone: 541-730-1562


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Postcard From the Future: Angkor Wat

2020 Oregon Golden Gloves Boxing Championship

Adapt and Overcome